Monday 11 March 2013

The Death of Fictional Friends: The Pain of Fandoms

Last night 'Being Human' FINISHED FOREVER. Toby Whithouse you are a legend. This is my tribute to the pain I'm suffering at the moment. There may be spoilers. Below is how I felt when I found out Being Human was not being re-commissioned. Oh God, here we go... 


I have always had a rather over-active imagination. When I was younger I had two imaginary friends, who were naughty goblins called 'Sally', who was female, and 'Boo Boo' a boy. I think, it was always quite ambiguous. They were so vivid that when Boo Boo 'pinched' me it actually hurt, I invented them because I was scared of the Goblins from 'Noddy', see below.
 I am with you here, they were frankly terrifying, it's in the eyebrows. 

I have always gotten much too emotionally involved with the imaginary world. I once cried because I read a book based in the 1950's (The Lost Art Of Keeping Secrets, if you interested) and I imagined it so vividly and well for a while I actually believed in reincarnation, it was really weird. I do remember this, it was weird, but it wasn't cause for concern weird, you just really felt an affinity with the era!

Anyway I am writing this post in response to the ridiculous amount of pain that I feel when a t.v show, or series of book's, or even a single book finishes. I am with you. So with you. When I commit to a series, I commit. I watch every single episode and get angry when things happen the way I didn't want them to, (await my next Girls post for this, because I have much to say)  I read all the interviews and follow all the actors' twitters. So, when a TV show ends, or a book series, it feels like a little world has been closed off to me, and I feel at a loss. I've never been one to re-read books either, so to me it's like when Aslan tells Lucy that she's not coming back to Narnia any time soon. Jesus, that produced some tears. I think it's even worse with TV though, at least with books there is normally a planned ending from the beginning, I feel that with a  TV series the ending can be entirely too sudden, because normally the reason it ends is the station/channel stops commissioning it (DAMN YOU BBC THREE, BEING HUMAN WAS THE BEST THING YOU PRODUCE. DICKS.I miss Gavin and Stacy) or because the actors stop being available, or the show loses momentum (Inbetweeners) bit old to play high school now really.

It really hurt (sob) when Harry Potter finished, but it at least had a finite ending. Didn't really hurt because we had all read the books years ago and frankly I was a bit sick of all their faces. Being Human did not do that. Personally, I hate cliff-hangers, especially when you know that you will never find out if it all ends happily or if it is all an illusion, it is so frustrating. I don't mind them, I think it is just a dramatic device that leaves the plot-line open if it ever gets picked up again. A satisfying ending means a definite end, this allows the possibility of some kind of recommission/spin off in the future, which is what you want right? I just wanted a satisfying ending, like, I don't know.. knowing whether or not the Apocalypse had been avoided and if the devil was ruling the world or not? Maybe, could you please give us that? In some way's I wished they had all died. It would be heart-breaking, but I would at least be able to grieve (Mitchell, Nina, George and Annie, I miss you guys). Right now, whenever I think of the ending I just get a knot in my stomach, and an over bearing feeling of doom, that I know will never go away, because although it has finished, in my head it hasn't. I think that the 2nd cast of Being Human were just coming into fruition, the chemistry was so good between them and I was loving/slightly jealous of the budding romance between Hal and Alex. Although the original cast will always hold a place in my heart (Mitchell and Annie so much love), I just feel the 2nd had so much potential! It felt like someone had dead headed a rose that didn't need to be dead headed. With Utopia, Black Mirror and Being Human finished, I am in mourning, I only have Supernatural now, I am getting back on that train today, waahay. And that finishes soon, sob. I hate how BBC 3 tries to 'mix it up', if it aint broke, don't mix. So true. I understand that all things come to an end, and kudos to the writers, but I feel like the whole set up had so much more to give. I've only got Supernatural now for my supernatural/comedy/action genre. I'm going to plant a tree for 'Being Human' in remembrance. 

Lets mourn some past characters
Nina (Sinead Keenan)and Georges' ( Russel Tavoy) romance, and Annie (Lenora Crichlow, she was recently on Black Mirror) and Mitchell (Aiden Turner) were brilliant and heart breaking
I was really enjoying Tom (Micheal Socha, yeah Kelly off of Misfits' brother) and Alex (Kate Bracken)
Some Brilliant acting from Damien Molony as Hal
Regards,
Dorothy and Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment