Tuesday 12 March 2013

Girls (on film, do do do do dooo)


So this episode was the land of wincing and cringing (although there were some beautiful moments of cringe humour), the girls in Girls are all floundering. Floundering I tell you. We have lost Jessa to the ether, cry, Hannah is in full on melt-down over her e-book, Shoshanna's philandering surprisingly has me feeling no sympathy for Ray aaaand Marnie, what the hell? Seriously Marnie all for the singing career but the desperate attention seekingy singing had me cringing so badly I could barely watch. The long cringey intro, the swapping of the i-pods leaving a silent gap. Just..eep. 

Frankly, I wanted Marnie and Charlie to get back together but not because they had changed roles, now he is the success and she is the annoying leechy failure (sorry I love you, but it is true). I have refrained from doing a Girls post for a while because I have been a bit underwhelmed, it has gotten a bit grim, but I guess that is reflecting the stages they are all at in their lives and careers. 

Marnie and Hannah need to get this sorted, THEY NEED EACHOTHER. Really, a girl's best friend is the only person that can help her get her life on track, parents are going to do the best they can but your best friend is the one holding the bottle of vodka and making you write pro/con lists at three in the morning, the only time when you actually figure shit out in my opinion. 

I actually shed a little tear for Hannah over her various injuries and loneliness and her encounter with Adam. Adam being a total dick, kind of, I have no idea what I think of Adam; I think that is the point of Adam. Anyhow, please God someone rescue Hannah and her OCD please, please, please. She tried to reach out to that doctor who basically just mocked her, I need Hannah to get help for my own sanity as a viewer!

Shoshanna, oh darling, so stereotype America-girl 'like yah'. I find it impossible to hate you because you had every reason to cheat on Ray, he's just Ray. He won't make her happy in the long run and she is beginning to realise this. But 'HOLDING HANDS' seriously, no. If you are going to lie, then don't tell him. Do not go half fucking way (or really just an inch of the way but whatever), she is in a little bit of a mess.

  1. I miss Jessa
  2. I miss Marnie/Hannah moments
  3. I want Marnie to not be so dorky, but at the same time it is quite funny
  4. I want Charlie to want Marnie out of love not pity, I still think he is a dork deep down
  5. I want Shoshanna and Ray to break up, or at least have a fight
Sorry if this sounds annoying intense fan-ish as opposed to an eloquent review of the series, but right now I am feeling like an annoying intense fan. Girls was my fill of New York amusement. Girls is pretty 'real' at the moment which is probably better than it being a happy shiny sitcom, I'm probably just sad that it isn't really escapism right now. 

Costume points, I like Marnie's new chilled look 


As she decomposes I kinda like her more as a person, also Shoshanna's increasingly bizarre hair and clothing choices (the donut bun right on top of her head, hair half up half down. Brilliant!) are wonderfully entertaining in themselves. It sort of reflects her own hyper-actively changing emotions and thoughts. 

Daphne 

No comments:

Post a Comment