Thursday 4 July 2013

I love Casablanca


Casablanca is, and will always be, one of my favourite films, it makes me cry, it makes me wistful for a time I never lived through and places I have never been, but mostly it makes me want to do unspeakable things to Humphry Bogart (I'm sorry please don't judge me, I can't control the Casablanca effect) and sometimes Ingrid Bergman... (I'm open minded, okay?).

First off, it is so quotable, 'here's looking at you kid', 'of all the gin joints...', 'this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship', the list is endless.




It is surely the most perfectly doomed love story, he's too late and she's too early and it never times just right. 




The final nail in the coffin being the whole 'love isn't selfish' element, well in real life love is selfish, and she probably wouldn't have got on that plane; but in films people are noble and, stupid or not, it makes for a damn good plot. It isn't the ending you want, but it's life, and it's the ending we get.

I love Casablanca because it isn't filled with shiny, sparkly promises, just this feeling that real love exists but it could just slip through your fingers. 

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment