Sunday 20 January 2013

A View by Daphne: Leading him on..?

So recently I was accused of being a Tease. Not an 'intentional tease', of course, but the reference was about  my behavior towards my male friends. Now, if I was saying things like 'yes I'm longing to love to sleep with you, come round to my house at eight o'clock and I will show you the time of your life' then slamming doors in their faces and laughing from the comfort of my sofa while eating popcorn, I would be inclined to agree. However, it is nothing like that at all. It is just the way me and my friends like to chat, we flirt, it's a bit cheeky, and well it is just fun. Nothing wrong with that, right? Well other women seem to think that I am: 1.Hoarding male friends and 2. Hurting their poor feelings by not sleeping with every single one of the poor randy guys. After all, friendship is a two way street and if they flirt away making innuendos and silly but naughty comments am I supposed to sit their like a puritan for fear of igniting a burning passion that cannot be doused?

ALSO, no one accuses them of 'leading me on' as a matter of fact boys appear to be getting out of this situation very well. I don't rise to the flirting they think I am boring (and to be fair I wouldn't be me if I didn't flirt back, I've been told that I even flirt with cats) and if I do it is me that takes all the heat for giving the wrong impression or sending mixed signals. As a group of girls, we often talk of how 'he just wants to be friends', why is so hard for others to accept that even though there is 'friendliness' on the female side, you can too, also, want to be 'just friends'. Friendship isn't something without worth, just because it isn't physical doesn't mean that the relationship is any less valuable too. It is no more than just 'banter' (hate to quote Geordie Shore but has to be done.) 'Flanter' is and can be dangerous territory I suppose. But there is no reason to say that it has to stop all together.

The main point here, I guess, is no one is getting hurt, the friendship is still strong and it isn't anyone else's business how you and your friends behave. So on that point, my female friends should really focus on my friendship with them, if they want me to flirt with them a little more,all they have to do is ask.

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment